Thursday 8 October 2015

Who Can Think of Food When the Blue Jays Are in the Play-Offs!?

I have to admit there is no way I can stick to the writing prompt for today. No, I am too busy trying to figure out how to at least listen to the ball game at my office when I don't get the right channel nor do I have a radio. Would it seem odd to sit in my vehicle and work on my laptop? I see the game is blacked out online but I wonder if I'll be able to listen to it on Rogers Radio on my tablet.

It was so much easier back in the beginning, back in 1977 I was working at McDonald's on the morning shift so when I finished at 3:00 it was easy to hop on the subway and then the streetcar to the old Exhibition Stadium and catch the game in person. I remember it cost me $5 a ticket to sit in the infield on the 3rd base line, still my favorite spot. Considering I was earning $2.76 an hour at the time, this was quite the investment but it was worth it. Through all of the snow, rain, sunburn and crowded transit, I got to see my team play.

My memories of the individual players is a little fuzzy, but I do remember the games when Detroit would come into town. The Tigers fans seemed to travel well and there would be a number of them in the stands for weekend games. A bit like when Rider fans flood McMahan stadium during Calgary Stampeders games. They were not my favorites!

Weekday afternoon games are still some of my favorite things to see. There is something about sitting in the sunshine among businessmen who are playing hooky, some wearing suits to the game. I remember one incident in particular. I had gotten off work early and rushed down to the ball park without eating lunch. I grabbed a hot dog from the vendor and was opening one of the little mustard packets when one of our boys made a hit so I jumped up to cheer...squirting my mustard packet on the guy sitting next to me in the process...right across the front of his suit! Lucky for me he was a good sport about it but was my face red.

I'm sure there will be many fans playing hooky today and joining in with the excitement of Canada's team being in the play-offs for the first time in over 20 years. Wish I could join you.

OK Blue Jays! Lets! Play! Ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment