Monday 31 October 2011

Happy Halloween, if your school allows it!

Listening to the news on my car radio this morning I was very distressed to hear about yet another school banning Halloween. I find this very disturbing as Halloween is a part of our culture...yes I said it, Halloween is a part of our culture. I am sure that many of us remember trick or treating at our neighbours' homes on a snowy late October evening, making sure we only approached those who had a jack-o-lantern on their porch or the outside light on.

I also remember that many a year my mother would have me so bundled up that my costume was difficult to recognize. I was ok with this because earlier in the day I had been able to wear my costume in all its glory at my classroom Halloween party! We didn't wear our costumes all day, they were carefully put on during the lunch hour and then proudly worn as we shared cupcakes and goodies that our talented volunteer moms had provided. Even the adults seemed to have a good time.

I am happy that my little grandson's school is having a Halloween party this afternoon so he too will have memories of sharing this holiday with his friends.

misskimmy

1 comment:

  1. I was feeling the same way, misskimmy. I can understand how very scary costumes might cause nightmares for the very young kids. But it seems like an over-reaction to me.

    And, as you point out, it seems so sad. Halloween has been an 'event' that kids have enjoyed for years. And, one that most of us remember with fondness. Surely we can find a way to protect the younger kids while allowing others to enjoy engaging in a fantasy world for just a few hours.

    Wonder how others feel about this.

    Bonita

    ReplyDelete