Wednesday 16 November 2011

A little early for Christmas?

How many of you have noticed that Christmas merchandising begins before Halloween these days. Department stores seem unable to contain their excitement as their shelves are depleted of spooky costumes, scary decorations, and of course, miniature candy bars, providing them room to begin socking those sames shelves with gaudy red, green, silver, and gold decorations, LED lights and artificial Christmas trees. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas! I love the decorations, the scent of steaming chocolate and apple cider, and the music.
That said, I remember as a child anxiously awaiting the arrival of the animated windows at the downtown Eaton's store. This was a favorite excursion of my family where we would gather with our cousins to gaze at the festive displays. Our parents would buy each of us a hot chocolate and some hot roasted cashews from a street vendor, they never tasted better. I somehow cannot believe this would have been as magical if it had occurred before we'd had our evening of trick or treating.

It seems as though the events of life are all running into each other and our holidays are being dictated by the merchandising department of the local mall. Even if you prefer not to decorate prior to American Thanksgiving, my personal preference, or the first of December, you are almost forced into it by the retailers' calendar. If you wait to purchase new decorations, they very well may not be there, having been sold before you get there. This goes the same for the latest new toy. Every year, there is that one toy that every child wants. If you are the unfortunate parent that did not plan ahead and make your purchase in October, well you just might be out of luck.

Perhaps much of the problem boils down to the consumerism of Christmas. It might sound funny now but I remember when I looked forward to receiving a mandarin orange in the toe of my stocking. Today, these are available in September, if not all year round. Maybe we have allowed ourselves to fall into the trap of Christmas being a flurry of shopping and buying the biggest gift under the tree. Of having the best decorated tree. Of having the best outdoor light display.

I am getting off my main topic of Christmas now lasting for three months. It just seems to me that spreading it out over this amount of time does take some of the wonder and amazement out of this special time. Maybe I am just being nostalgic about Christmas' of my past. Maybe spreading Christmas over this amount of time allows for more joy. Oh well, not time to think about this now, must get my office tree decorated!

misskimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment