Wednesday 9 November 2011

When was the first time that you realized that your home was not like other people's homes?

When I was a little girl I often wondered why it was that some people kept the wrapping on their livingroom furniture after it was delivered. It was always set up in the front of the house, seemingly ready to be lived in but there it was, that plastic wrap that hadn't been removed. When I got a little older I was invited to visit these plastic wrapped front rooms on special occasions, like Baptisms and First Communions, I came to realize that the plastic was meant to stay on the furniture!

In our home, the front room was the living room and we lived in it. This was where my brother and I would play after school and where my parents would sit to watch Carol Burnett on television. It was a warm and friendly room decorated with family photos and knick knacks collected during various vacations. When visitors would come over my mother would make sure it was neat and tidy and plump up the nice cushions on the sofa for our guests. No one seemed to mind that the edges of the arm chair were a little worm where my dad rested his coffee cup. They just relaxed and enjoyed themselves as my mom brought them a second helping of homemade apple pie.

Yes, our home was different than that of some other families, better I think.

misskimmy

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had the home on the block where all the kids hung out at. People before things! Great memories for you that also will leave an impression as you raise your kids! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like I would have liked to visit your house as a kid. I had an aunt & uncle who had plastic wrap on the living room furniture too. It always bothered me. Made me feel uncomfortable. My home as a child was more like yours was. When my kids were little, ours was the house that forts were built in. Hockey was played, balls tossed. Our grandchildren love to build forts here too. Good times. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete