Sunday 6 November 2011

Tim Horton's Capuccinos and Lattes?

Well they have done it. Tim Horton's has introduced specialty drinks in their Canadian stores. I'm not certain how I feel about this. Tim's for me is the place I stop into for a cup of coffee after a football or hockey game. When I think about enjoying a latte or cappuccino, I think of Starbuck's. Maybe this is an idea cultivated in me by a slick advertising firm but I can't imagine myself settling in at Tim's with my laptop or a good book for a relaxing afternoon. Somehow the lighting and lack of background music just doesn't create that ambiance I am looking for.

McDonald's has been renovating their restaurants to include McCafe's. Again, I'm not sure if this would be my choice location for an hour of study. Something about sitting in a plastic seat next to a family eating chicken nuggets doesn't set the mood for me. In fairness, I must admit that I have been to some very upscale McDonald's locations. The one in Asheville, NC, comes to mind. Ashville is the home of the Builtmore Estate and the MacDonald's restaurant there is equipped with a baby grand piano. (yes, I admit it, I did enjoy an iced latte at this location)

I guess the point I am trying to make is that sometimes businesses should stick to what they are good at and not try to be all to everyone. If Tim's changes too much, where will I stop after that football or hockey?

1 comment:

  1. I think Timmy's will always be Timmy's. They can offer all the lattes they want, but their core customer base will still be ordering an extra large double double. Maybe the Tim Horton's latte will go the way of the McPizza.

    ReplyDelete