Thursday 17 November 2011

Using the f-word on social media

I heard about it through twitter, the use of the f-word on his twitter account by a Member of Parliament from Manitoba. I have to say I find this to be very disturbing. To also hear that this MP feels he was right in doing so is even more incredible. Throughout the day as I have listened to the news, bits and pieces have come out about whether or not twitter is a private or a public conversation. I have also heard that this particular elected official has over 3500 followers. I don't know about you but I don't see that as a private conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I respect a person's right to be angry, frustrated and annoyed at things. I understand that people vent. What I have an issue with is that this public figure chose to use language that would not be appropriate were he speaking in person to his supporters and followers. We talk about trying to get young people involved in politics. I am not so blind as to think young people do not use this word but I do feel that it displays a disrespect that is too prevalent in this world. Maybe I am being thin skinned but I think there were other options he could have used to express his feelings.

There are guidelines for what can be posted on facebook and posts that are removed because they are unsuitable. This to me indicates that society is concerned with people's very public activities on social media. I don't know that setting strict rules is the answer. I would like to think that people who are in the public eye would appreciate the role they play as role models and conduct their actions accordingly. I hope others do as well.

misskimmy

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps this particular MP sent the post on impulse. Based on your blog, I am assuming that he was angry. That is the negative side of technology - one moment without thought and it's out there, whether you would like to call it back or not.

    ReplyDelete